Monday, December 2, 2013

Scuba Diving in the Gili Islands of Indonesia

After a rushed skills test in a pool full of 15 other newbie divers, we squeezed into our wetsuits & headed to our boat.  We were thankful to be going on this dive after they initially turned us away due to Yemi's high blood pressure.  As luck would have it, a man in our foursome was a doctor who was willing to sign a medical release permitting Yemi to dive.

With our tanks strapped to our backs, we rolled backwards out of the boat, completing a full backflip before landing gracefully in the water.  That was both the first and last time on this dive that we appeared to know what we were doing.

On the count of three, our group of four newbies & two instructors began to descend and equalize. After another count of three, Jan popped back up to the surface out of breath.  "I seem to be panicking a bit," Jan embarrassingly explained to the instructor who had followed her up.  If you've ever seen Jan take 20 minutes easing her way into a cold pool, you'll know that she likes to do things in her own time.  Once she caught her breath, she regained her composure and descended with the instructor.  

Yemi almost came back up to the surface as well, despite his best intentions to get to our deepest part of the dive 12 meters under.  Either the instructors didn't put enough weights on his belt or he is the world's most buoyant man.  Despite deflating his vest completely, Yemi kept floating up toward the surface!  The instructor had to hold Yemi down during the entire 40 minute dive. This resulted in Yemi getting pulled through schools of drummer fish on a personalized one-on-one tour of the dive sight so he didn't mind a bit!

We saw several kinds of tropical fish, but the visibility was low that day so we didn't get to experience the amazing scuba diving that the Gili Islands are known for.  Given that we both had C-level performances, we decided to wait until Thailand for our next dive and spend the rest if the week doing things we excelled at:  lounging on the beach & soaking up the sun.


13 comments:

  1. Love the last photo. Gorgeous view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Offer is still open to come meet us! ;)

      Delete
    2. Someday :-) Xoxo to you both.

      Delete
  2. See...this is what I (have) missed about the blogosphere: the people I got to know and befriend going on with their lives. I had no idea you got married! Congratulations! Have continued safe and fun travels! And thanks for the warm welcome back! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! The world just keeps moving when we take breaks from following along! Omnia mutantur nos et mutamur in illis!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow! I don't know if I could scuba dive as I get claustrophobic really easily and would panic if a goldfish was in just my bath water! Great photos and sounds like an even greater trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't feel bad Jan. I hyperventilated the entire the first time I went diving. When I got certified, the instructor had to hold my hand the entire time. It was November in Michigan and there was no visibility in the lake. Jon and I did quite a lot of diving including some 100 ft plus wrecks. I tried going out again after several years and I couldn't do it. You just aren't supposed to breathe under water. Hopefully the diving in Thailand will get you hooked. There are some beautiful things below the surface. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's reassuring to hear I'm not the only one that feels like a fish out of water when scuba diving. They say after the first few dives it feels more natural.

      I would hyperventilate at just the idea of going scuba diving in Michigan in November! That had to have been Jon's idea, haha

      Delete
  5. Oh, wow! That picture you posted of Yemi in the hammock on the beach is incredible. Gorgeous shot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never scuba dived or snorkeled or really even had a beach vacation, but I so could just chill in the hammock for a good long time.

    Glad you two are having a good time on your travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are due for a relaxing vacation come February! Maybe during G's spring break?

      Delete
  7. What a relaxing view specially the last photos. Scuba Diving in Indonesia is really amazing.

    ReplyDelete